Monday, November 18, 2013

Passed Down

Growing up my mom would sing, what my family calls, "The Sailor Song". I didn't think twice about the significance of the song when I was young and just went with it. I learned the words quickly because my family sings it all the time as well as my extended family so it was easy for me to pick it up. 

As I got older I wanted to know the meaning of "The Sailor Song". It turns out that my great grandpa learned the song from his mom. The song explains the memory that she and my great great grandpa had. The people involved in the song were my great great grandparents, and now the song is still being sung today. The song goes as follows.

Around the corner and under the tree
A Yankee sailor said he loved me
He kissed me once
He kissed me twice
It really wasn't the thing to do
But gee it was nice!

The song was a part of the family ever since it was sung for the first time. It's fun because it is something that my family shares. When I have a family, I plan on singing it to my kids to carry on the history. We sing the song because if my great great grandparents didn't meet than I wouldn't be here today as well as the rest of my family. From stories that I hear, they loved each other very much and fought for their love. It is just an example to me of how cute they were. All my family members know the song and to this day have shared it with new members of the family and continue to do so, so that the memory and story never fades.

No comments:

Post a Comment